3 cups of warm water
3 tbsps. of lime juice
6 Garlic Onion Bouillon Cubes
1 Scotch Bonnet/hot pepper chopped
2 tsps. Minced Garlic.
1 tbsp Chopped Chadon beni/Cilantro
3 Pimento peppers/1 sweet pepper, finely chopped.
2 lbs. Green fig/ bananas, boiled, peeled and cut up.
2 Cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1 Med Onion, Sliced
2 tbsps. Finely chopped parsley
2 tbsps. Finely chopped chive/scallion
1. In a large bowl combine water, lime juice,
Bouillon Cubes, hot pepper, garlic, chadon beni/cilantro and pimento
2. Add cooked green fig, cucumber and onions. Leave to marinate in
refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
3. Garnish with parsley and chive/escallion before serving.
12 dasheen leaves
1/4 lb. salt beef or ham bone
½ lb. salt pork
2 c. coconut milk
1 tbsp. butter
1 green pepper
2 sprigs thyme
1 onion, 4 chives
1 c. boiling water
Strip the stalks and
midrib from the dasheen leaves and wash well.
Wash and cut up the ochroes and seasonings.
Soak and cut up meat.
Scald and clean the crabs.
Put all the ingredients except the butter, into a pot with boiling
water and simmer until everything is soft.
Swizzle and add the butter. Serve with rice.
fish Run Down
2 lbs. Salt fish (Cod)
3 (50g pks) Coconut Milk Power
Desolved in 4 cups of water
1 Large Onion (Chopped)
2 Plum tomatoes (Chopped)
1 Scotch bonnet/hot pepper
1 Sprig Thyme
1 Clove, Garlic chopped
1 Stalk Scallion/Chive, chopped
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper.
1. Boil salt fish in water just before cooking
to remove excess salt
2. Discard water and clean. Break or flake fish into 1-inch pieces.
3. Boil coconut milk in a large saucepan until it starts to thicken.
Add vinegar and seasonings. Add salt fish and continue to simmer
for 15 minutes.
4. Serve hot with boil green bananas.
fish and Ackee
1 lb. Soaked salt fish
4 rashers bacon
1 Large onion (thinly sliced)
1 Sweet pepper
4 tbsp. oil or buter
1. Cover salt fish with fresh cold water
and bring to the boil. Drain.
2. Remove pods,seeds and centers from ackees;
tie in a muslin bag; add water and boil for 15 minutes. Drain
3. Flake fish, discarding the skin and bones.
4. Fry the bacon, remove and keep hot
5. Saute the onion and pepper rings in the bacon fat, drain and
keep hot with the bacon
6. In the same pan, heat the oil or butter, add the fish and ackee
and heat through.
7. Turn on to a heated dish and garnish with onions, pepper and
8. Serve hot with plenty of black pepper.
1. lb. Pumpkin
1. Small dried coconut
1. c. cornmeal
2. oz margarine
2. 3 oz. sugar (1/4 c.)
1. c. water
½ . tsp. cinnamon (ground) grate nutmeg
¼. Tsp. salt
¼. Tsp. vanilla essence
1. Peel, wash and grate pumpkin and coconut.
2. Add cornmeal and rub in margarine.
3. Add sugar, and water to give a soft dripping consistency..
4. Add essence; cinnamon and nutmeg, mix well and pour into a greased
The mixture should be 1 - 1 ½” thick.
5. Baked in a moderate oven (375 degrees F) until crisp and brown.
6.Cut into 2” squares before serving.